Health Information Technology
Get the skills to record, analyze, and improve health care.
- Brookline College’s Associate of Science in Health Information Technology can help you develop the skills needed to support the recording of patient information, improve health care delivery and assist in the implementation of policies to better treat patients.
- Transfer up to 31.5 semester hours from an Allied Health diploma.
- This associate degree can be completed in 60 weeks of full-time enrollment if you are starting the program without a diploma in an allied health program.
- 610 new Medical Records and Health Information Technician jobs will be added annually in Arizona from 2016-2026.(1)
- 33% growth in Arizona from 2016-2026 which is much faster than the national average for all occupations. (1)
- Maintenance organizations
- Public health agencies
- Home care agencies
- Nursing homes
What Classes will I Take?
- Electronic health records
- Health Information Management
- Medical Terminology
What are typical class hours?
Evening Classes: Start at 6:00 pm and end at 10:00 pm.Breaks are scheduled after 50 minutes of instruction and last for 10 minutes. Current students at our Phoenix campus enjoy convenient access to our cafe, which offers a full menu of breakfast and lunch options 5 days a week.
Students also viewed
Electronic health records
Health Information Management
60 CREDITS – 960 CONTACT HOURS – 60 WEEKS
The Associate of Science in Health Information Technology degree program provides allied health diploma holders and students the opportunity to develop more in-depth knowledge of the healthcare environment in a technologically growing healthcare field. With courses in electronic health record and health information technology graduates will be prepared to assume entry-level roles in the healthcare data documentation and are eligible to take national certification exams.
The program, delivered in a blended modality, is comprised of general education and core technical courses that can be completed in 60 weeks of full-time enrollment for those who are starting the full program without a diploma in an allied health program.
Student Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of the program graduates will:
- Describe how health care professional contribute to health care delivery and identify the professionals of the health care field.
- Work effectively as a member of a health care team.
- Use effective oral and written communication methods.
- Identify and work within the ethical and legal requirements of a health care system.
- Professionally and ethically perform duties within the scope of practice for the profession.
- Demonstrate Health Information Technology skills by utilizing an electronic health records system.
- Analyze classification and terminology of body systems for diagnosis and procedures codes in accordance to the current guidelines.
Online; Residential; Blended Program Requirements:
|Program Concentration – 33 Credits – 525 Contact Hours||Credit Hours||Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Practicum|
|HA 100 Medical Terminology||3||45||0||0|
|HA 200 Anatomy and Physiology||3||45||0||0|
|HA 101 Health Information Management and Data Systems||3||45||0||0|
|HA 110 Electronic Medical Records||3||30||30||0|
|AC 101 Accounting I||3||45||0||0|
|HA 207 Health Care Finance||3||45||0||0|
|HA 215 Introduction to Health Care Information Systems||3||45||0||0|
|HA 209 Diversity and Culture in Healthcare||3||45||0||0|
|HA 204 Health Care Organizations||3||45||0||0|
|HA 210 Medical Law and Ethics||3||45||0||0|
|HA 240 Medical Office Administration||3||30||30||0|
|General Education – 15 Credits – 225 Contact Hours||Credit Hours||Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Practicum|
|Open Science - Science/Bio/A&P||3||45||0||0|
|Open Soc Science - Social/Behavioral Science (Psych)||3||45||0||0|
|Open Soc Science – Social/Behavioral Science (Sociology)||3||45||0||0|
|Additional Course Requirements – 12 Credits – 210 Contact Hours||Credit Hours||Lecture Hours||Lab Hours||Practicum|
Your education is a big investment and Brookline College believes no investment offers more potential. A new career can transform your life, and we’re here to help you make that happen.
- At Brookline College there are no hidden costs. Our tuition includes books, supplies and all fees.
- Tuition: Please call or click Request Info to determine your cost.
- Program length: 60 weeks.
- More than 88% of Brookline College students use some form of financial aid(2) to help cover the cost of their education(3). That’s why we offer personalized counseling from a Student Finance Advisor to help make your college experience more affordable.
- We have also provided The Net Price Calculator that will provide preliminary, non-binding estimates of federal, state, and institutional aid eligibility based on federal methodology.
(2) Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
(3) Percentage calculated by Brookline College for the 2015-16 school year.
We want to be sure your career goals are in line with your selected program of study. Our admission process will help you understand our programs and the career expectations in the field.
Five Simple Steps:
- Visit the campus. See what Brookline and the Health Information Technology program is all about.
- Complete a Visitor Information Form.
- Complete a financial aid interview to develop a financial plan.
- Complete the Enrollment Agreement with an Admissions Representative to include collecting all necessary documentation.
- Meet with the Director of Education, or an appropriate Department Director to discuss any unusual enrollment circumstances or accommodations needed to successfully complete the program.
Once all requirements have been completed, the Director of Admissions, Director of Education, and Campus Director reviews the application for approval. Applicants are notified of their acceptance promptly.
Health Information Technology Specialists (Health IT Specialists) handle the technical aspects of managing patient health information. Depending on their position, health IT professionals may build, implement, or support electronic health records (EHRs) and other systems that store patient-related data. They know what data is needed, where is it stored, and how the data is used.
Their work affects quality of care tremendously. And, as they move up the ladder, health IT specialists become more involved in collaborating with other healthcare teams to drive improved outcomes, lowered costs, and new developments in patient care.
Accreditation is the recognition that an institution maintains the standards required to achieve the credentials for professional practice. It is the status granted to an institution that meets or exceeds specific criteria of educational quality as defined by the accrediting agency.
- Institutional Accreditation: Brookline College’s Phoenix, Tucson, Tempe, and Albuquerque campuses are accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Brookline College has been approved by Arizona to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. For more information, visit: http://nc-sara.org/
- Programmatic Accreditation: Programmatic accreditation, also known as specialized or professional accreditation, is designed for specialized departments, programs, schools, or colleges within a university or institution that has already received accreditation.
The Baccalaureate degree program in nursing and Master’s degree program in nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington DC 20001. 202-887-06791.
The BSN pre-licensure program is currently on probation with the Arizona Board of Nursing (“AZBON”). Brookline entered a consent agreement with AZBON, which requires Brookline to submit monthly reports. The agreement can be found on the Arizona Board of Nursing’s website https://www.azbn.gov/. The BSN pre-licensure program is fully approved by the New Mexico Board of Nursing, nmbon.sks.com.
Brookline College - Phoenix Campus
2445 W Dunlap Ave STE 100 Phoenix, AZ 85021
M-Th 8:00AM – 7:00PM
F 8:00AM – 5:00PM
Brookline College - Tempe Campus
1140 S. Priest Drive Tempe, AZ 85281
M-Th 8:00AM – 8:00PM
F 8:00AM – 5:00PM
Brookline College - Online
M-Th 8:00AM – 7:00PM
F 8:00AM – 5:00PM