Medical Laboratory Science – Bachelor of Science – Enrolling Online Now!
Play an important role in the detection, diagnosis, and treatment of diseases.
- Program PDF
- This program will prepare students for entry level positions in the clinical laboratory performing and evaluating laboratory tests that will aid in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Students will perform tests on blood and body fluids, using manual and automated procedures in the areas of blood bank/transfusion medicine, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, urinalysis, immunology, and molecular diagnostics. In addition, students will learn concepts related to laboratory operations and management, quality assessment and assurance, research and effective techniques for the training of new laboratory personnel.
- Program Features:
- Live online virtual lectures you can attend with classmates.
- Support of a live faculty member.
- All lectures are recorded for you to review later.
- Traditional classroom feel with the safety and flexibility of online.
- Graduates of the Brookline College Medical Laboratory Science Program are eligible to sit for national certification examinations provided by the American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Certification or the American Medical Technologists.
- Note – Courses requiring a lab, simulation and externship placement may be delayed until later in the program due to COVID-19.
- Medical laboratory technologists, often called clinical laboratory scientists (CLS) or medical laboratory scientists (MLS), are a key part in many complex procedures that are carried out on patient specimens in a laboratory.
- 900 new Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technologists jobs will be added in Arizona from 2014-2024.(1)
- 21% growth in Arizona from 2014-2024 which is much faster than the national average for all occupations.(1)
- Hospitals and reference laboratories
- Physician offices
- Research and state laboratories
What classes will I take?
Here are just a few classes you will take during the Medical Laboratory Technician Associate Degree program:
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Advanced Hematology, Microbiology and Clinical Chemistry
- Transfusion Medicine
- Laboratory Operations
What are typical class hours?
Here are just a few of the classes you will take during the Medical Laboratory Technician Associate Degree program:
Advanced Hematology, Microbiology and Clinical Chemistry
124 CREDITS – 2,590 CONTACT HOURS – 120 WEEKS
This program will prepare students for entry level positions in the clinical laboratory performing and evaluating laboratory tests that will aid in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of disease. Students will perform tests on blood and body fluids, using manual and automated procedures in the area of blood bank/transfusion medicine, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, urinalysis, immunology, and molecular diagnostics. In addition, students will learn concepts related to laboratory operations and management, quality assessment and assurance, research and effective techniques for the training of new laboratory personnel. Graduates can seek employment in a variety of health care and laboratory settings including hospitals, clinics, research and reference laboratories, blood banks and industry.
The Medical Laboratory Science program is a continuation from the Medical Laboratory Technician program, therefore all MLT coursework provides the first four semesters of the eight-semester program.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Graduates of the Medical Laboratory Science Bachelor in Science Degree Program will be able to:
- Demonstrate professionalism as expected of a health care worker by: adhering to regulations, including safety and confidentiality, as required by federal, state and local laws and the institutions for which they are employed; acting with integrity; employing ethical standards and behaviors; communicating and collaborating with other members of the health care team, patients and the public; adhering to acceptable hygiene and appearance standards; and working within established standards of practice.
- Perform, monitor and apply quality control and quality assurance principles in the workplace. Safely and accurately collect and process various biological samples for analysis. Perform and demonstrate entry-level technical skills for routine and specialized laboratory procedures in the pre-analytical, analytical and postanalytical components of chemistry hematology/hemostasis, blood bank/transfusion medicine, microbiology, immunology, urinalysis/body fluids, and laboratory operations. Perform entry-level supervisory, administrative, education and training functions as appropriate of a medical laboratory scientist. Demonstrate the ability to develop, implement and disseminate the results of a clinical research study.
- Recognize and apply results of laboratory analysis of normal, abnormal and unexpected results as required of an entry-level medical laboratory scientist and take appropriate actions with regard to reporting results and/or repeating policies and procedures. Evaluate and take action on results of routine and specialized laboratory analyses following predetermined protocols and using effective critical thinking skills.
Residential Program Requirements:
|Program Concentration – 49 Credits – 1195 Contact Hours||Credit Hrs||Lecture Hrs||Lab Hrs||Practicum|
|MLT 100 Introduction to MLT||3||30||30||0|
|MLT 101 Urinalysis||3||30||30||0|
|MLT 105 Microbiology I||4||45||30||0|
|MLT 110 Microbiology II||4||45||30||0|
|MLT 115 Routine Hematology||4||45||30||0|
|MLT 120 Clinical Chemistry I||4||45||30||0|
|MLT 130 Immunohematology||4||45||30||0|
|MLT135 Clinical Chemistry II||4||45||30||0|
|MLT 140 MLT First Level Sim Lab||205||0||6705||0|
|MLT 170 Introduction to Immunology||2||30||0||0|
|MLT 215 Hematology in Disease||3||30||30||0|
|MLT 240 MLT Second Level Sim Lab||2.5||0||67.5||0|
|MLT 250 Clinical Experience||9||0||0||400|
|MLS 300 Advanced Clinical Chemistry||3||30||30||0|
|MLS 310 Techniques of Molecular Biology||3||45||0||0|
|MLS 315 Laboratory Operations||2||30||0||0|
|MLS 405 Advanced Hematology||3||30||30||0|
|MLS 410 Transfusion Medicine||4||45||30||0|
|MLS 420 Advanced Microbiology||3||30||30||0|
|MLS 445 MLS Sim Lab: Micro/Blood Bank||4||0||120||0|
|MLS 450 MLS Clinical Experience||5||0||0||225|
|MLS 455 Professional Seminar||3||45||0||0|
|General Education – 33 Credits – 495 Contact Hours||Credit Hrs||Lecture Hrs||Lab Hrs||Practicum|
|Open Science -Science/Bio/A&P||3||45||0||0|
|BI 300 Introduction to Genetics||3||45||0||0|
|Open Comm –Communication or CO 415||3||45||0||0|
|MH 240 Intermediate College Mathematics||3||45||0||0|
|Open Ethics –Ethics or PH 410||3||45||0||0|
|Open Soc Science –Social/History/Political Science||3||45||0||0|
|Open Social/Behavioral Science (Psych)||3||45||0||0|
|Open Stats –Stats or QN 220||3||45||0||0|
|Open Social/Behavioral Science (Sociology)||3||45||0||0|
|Additional Course Requirement – 3 Credits – 45 Contact Hours||Credit Hrs||Lecture Hrs||Lab Hrs||Practicum|
|CHM 100 General Chemistry||3||45||0||0|
|CHM 320 Organic Chemistry||3||45||0||0|
|CHM 340 Principles of Biochemistry||3||45||0||0|
|PD 299 Professional Development||3||45||0||0|
Your education is a big investment and Brookline College believes no investment offers more potential. A new career can transform your life, and we’re here to help you make that happen. At Brookline College there are no hidden costs. Our tuition includes books, supplies and all fees. Tuition: Please call or click Request Info to determine your cost. Program length: 60 weeks.
- At Brookline College there are no hidden costs. Our tuition includes books, supplies and all fees.
- Tuition: Please call or click Request Info to determine your cost.
- Program length: 120 weeks.
- More than 88% of Brookline College students use some form of financial aid(2) to help cover the cost of their education(3). That’s why we offer personalized counseling from a Student Finance Advisor to help make your college experience more affordable.
- We have also provided The Net Price Calculator that will provide preliminary, non-binding estimates of federal, state, and institutional aid eligibility based on federal methodology.
(2) Student loans, grants and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
(3) Percentage calculated by Brookline College for the 2015-16 school year.
We want to be sure your career goals are in line with your selected program of study. Our admission process will help you understand our programs and the career expectations in the field.
Five Simple Steps:
- Visit the campus. See what Brookline and the Medical Laboratory Technician program is all about.
- Complete a Visitor Information Form.
- Complete a financial aid interview to develop a financial plan.
- Complete the Enrollment Agreement with an Admissions Representative to include collecting all necessary documentation.
- Meet with the Director of Education, or an appropriate Department Director to discuss any unusual enrollment circumstances or accommodations needed to successfully complete the program.
Once all requirements have been completed, the Director of Admissions, Director of Education, and Campus Director reviews the application for approval. Applicants are notified of their acceptance promptly.
Accreditation is the recognition that an institution maintains the standards required to achieve the credentials for professional practice. It is the status granted to an institution that meets or exceeds specific criteria of educational quality as defined by the accrediting agency.
- Institutional Accreditation: Brookline College’s Phoenix, Tucson, Tempe, and Albuquerque campuses are accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Programmatic Accreditation: Programmatic accreditation, also known as specialized or professional accreditation, is designed for specialized departments, programs, schools, or colleges within a university or institution that has already received accreditation.
The Brookline College – Phoenix Campus Medical Laboratory Technician program has been granted accreditation by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS):
5600 N. River Road, Suite 720
Rosemont, IL 60018
You will know what you’re going to pay right from the beginning and it won’t change during your education. That’s our promise to you.(4)(4) Students who are required to repeat a course to fulfill graduation requirements are subject to additional expenses.
You’ll learn from qualified instructors who are committed to your success in the classroom. With small class sizes, you’ll interact closely with your faculty as they teach, coach and mentor you through your time of study.
Understanding the options you have to pay for school is important, and without help it can be overwhelming. Our staff will guide you through the process. From scholarships and grants to loans, we’re here to help you understand how to search and apply for financial aid. Learn More
After graduation, we’ll help you with your career search with everything from resume writing help to job search support to interview tips.(5)(5) Brookline College cannot guarantee employment
We welcome you to explore Brookline College through our virtual tour.
You’ll be able to check in on our classrooms and labs, learn about our programs, and get a feel for our family from the comfort of your home.